Accommodative Dysfunction – A Brief Overview
Dysfunction is the abnormality in the operation of a specific body organ or problem in a part of the body. Accommodative dysfunctioning means an individual is having a problem withstanding continued focus; This is not an eyesight problem but occurs due to inconsistent sleep or fatigue-related issues.
Fatigue especially causes eye strain and stress which provokes a difficulty in focusing. Every time we look away from one object to another, we have to change the focus of our eyes, and for that purpose, good vision is essential. The focusing problem usually occurs when an individual finds it difficult to relax the muscle or is unable to withstand the contraction for a small period.
The problem of Accommodative Dysfunction is mostly noted among children where they find it difficult to focus in school and eventually to get frustrated. If not taken proper care this condition can last for a lifetime. The difficulty is not with the eyesight, as on checkup the doctor fails to detect any issue with a child’s vision. The children facing the challenge of Accommodative Dysfunction find it hard to execute simple tasks which their classmates can complete in no time, and this eventually leads to lack of confidence and can hamper their progress.
The Symptoms and signs associated are usually related to the tasks that produce stress and strain on eyes. Some of them may include: blurred vision, facing problem while reading, headaches, motion sickness, lack of concentration during task performance, dizziness, fatigue, visual discomfort, red eyes, aching eyes, facing problem reading small print, sensitivity to light, copying from the board slowly and with lots of mistakes, missing more questions at the end of the test and poor attention.
What Causes Accommodative Dysfunction?
Following are the causes of accommodative dysfunctions:
- Poor Health Conditions Overall: Children who have suffered from an illness like fatigue problems, severe flu, fever can develop weak focus. Children with poor health conditions are prone to develop this condition.
- Side effects of some medicines.
- Due to aging: Most commonly as the age increases gradually there occurs more strain on eyes which can lead to focusing problems.
- Children can also develop this condition due to visual stress.
Following are the preventions of accommodative dysfunctions:
- Early detection: Early diagnosis of children’s eye can save and eliminate the problem of Accommodative Dysfunction. If it is not treated in the initial stages, then it can affect school progress and work performance.
- Proper lighting: While reading chooses a source of light which will help reading without straining the eyes. It should not be too bright which will cause reflections on the screen.
- Computer Usage: Taking frequent breaks between working hours which will help relaxing focus and reduce the risk of developing Accommodative Dysfunction.
- Using eye drop: The Moisturizing and lubricating eye is essential to avoid infections and can reduce the red effect formed in eyes.
- Sun exposure: Harmful UV rays can affect your eyes. Make sure to use eyeglasses and sunglasses which have UV protection.
- Contact lenses: Whenever using lenses, make sure to maintain the hygiene like washing hands properly, cleaning the case where lens are stored, being updated with the expiry date of a lens.
- Avoiding watching TV for long hours.
- For the sake of visual comfort, all the above-listed preventions must be followed. Taking prescribed prevention can reduce the risks of avoiding Accommodative Dysfunction.
How Can Be Accommodative Dysfunction Treat?
Methods of treatment are mentioned below:
- Doctors can suggest using the accommodative insufficiency glasses while reading to help focus.
- Carrying out vision therapy which helps to reach the child’s brain to find the right clues for proper focusing.
- Eye Surgery to increase or decrease the size of deviation for proper focusing.
- Using eyeglasses sometimes can solve the problem. Eyeglasses are usually prescribed for near vision tasks and are generally called as training spectacles lens.
- Eye exercises: It slowly helps in developing accommodative stamina.
- Correction of any refractive error.
Important Article: 13 Reasons Which Indicate That You Need An Eye Check-up
Early detection of the problem is vital to avoid the effects caused because of this condition. Accommodative Dysfunction can happen to adult as well as children, whoever doing a stressful near a central task. Dr. Durocher, a Nashville Eye Doctor, states that the treatments for Accommodative Dysfunction are not complex and hence, it can be cured if early action is taken.