Have you experienced tooth pain while eating ice cream or drinking hot coffee? Does eating sweets lead to toothaches? If you answered ‘Yes’ to any of the above, chances are high you’re suffering from Sensitive teeth.
In teeth that are healthy, the crown is protected by a layer of enamel. Under the gums, there is a layer known as Cementum that protects the root of the tooth. Underlying both the cementum and the enamel is Dentin. Dentin contains numerous pores or tubes that run from its surface to the nerve at the center.
Tooth sensitivity happens when the enamel protecting our teeth gets thin or when the gums start receding. This exposes Dentin, the part of the teeth that covers the nerve. This is why Tooth sensitivity is clinically referred to as Dentin Hypersensitivity. Once dentin is exposed, these porous structures allow heat and cold or sticky or acidic foods to reach the nerve cells inside the tooth. This results in hypersensitivity, which is felt as sharp aches and pains that can last minutes or hours.
- Inappropriate brushing: Brushing longer than the recommended two minutes. Brushing abrasively or with a stiff toothbrush. Brushing from side to side. These can cause enamel wear, particularly at the neck of the tooth where the teeth meet gums.
- Enamel erosion: Acidic foods and drinks attack enamel causing it to erode in due time.
- Receding gums: Gum recession can be caused naturally. As the gums shrink back the roots of the teeth become exposed. Roots do not have enamel layer for protection.
- Fractured teeth: Due to sports injuries/falls. It can lead to dentin getting exposed.
- Worn dental fillings: These can also lead to stimulants having direct access to the nerve.
- Gum diseases: Gum diseases can cause plaque or tartar buildup causing the gums to recede thereby exposing the tooth nerve. Prolonged exposure can lead to the destruction of the supporting bones.
- Tooth Grinding: Worn tooth enamel due to clenching & grinding.
- Dental bleaching: Some patients experience temporary sensitivity after a bleaching session. Discuss it with your dentist before any such treatment. Home bleaching with over the counter kits and homemade formulations are generic preparations and do not take into account individual dental requirements and can lead to teeth sensitivity.
- Medications: Certain medications can lead to enamel erosion or gum recession. Share with your dentist names of all current/recent prescription medication.
- Desensitizing Toothpaste, Mouthwash, and chewing gums: these are formulated to block the transmission of the sensation from surface to nerve. Several applications/uses are required before results can be noticed.
- Fluoride gel: An in-clinic technique which strengthens the enamel and reduces the transmission of sensations. Thereby giving relief from sensitivity.
- A crown, inlay/bonding: These are used to correct a flaw or decay that is the underlying cause of sensitivity.
- Surgical gum graft: When gum tissue has been lost from the root, this procedure will protect the root and reduce sensitivity.
- Root canal: When sensitivity is prolonged and persistent and can not be treated by any other means, your dentist may suggest a root canal treatment.
Teeth sensitivity can be a major hindrance in the day to day life. It can also pose an obstacle in social interactions because it can occur rather spontaneously causing major discomfort and embarrassment. If you’ve been experiencing tooth sensitivity and want to rid yourself of the nagging problem in the long term, look no further. Fedorciw & Massoumi are the best Rocky Hill Dentists to help you reclaim your smile. Fedorciw & Massoumi is a name synonymous with quality dental care. They have highly trained, thoroughly professional and compassionate staff, which is led by Dr. Roman Fedorciw.
Dr. Fedorciw is an Alumna of the prestigious New York University College of Dentistry. He is extremely well regarded by his peers and highly recommended by his patients.
Dental Implants, Same Day Crown, Root canal treatments are some of the options available at Fedorciw & Massoumi for the treatment of tooth sensitivity. Sports Mouthguards, Bite guards, as well as Dental Sealants to aid protect the tooth from decay in children, are preventive measures available to safeguard from teeth sensitivity!
Decades of experience in the treatment of the various forms & causes of tooth sensitivity gives Dr. Fedorciw an edge in correctly diagnosing the individual cases. This coupled with the personalized care and state of the art diagnostic technology are what make Fedorciw & Massoumi the best dentists in Rocky Hill.
Want the best dental professional in Rocky Hill to give you the smile of your dreams? Book yourself an appointment right away! Once at Fedorciw & Massoumi you are going to be in safe hands with the best of care available at the best dental clinic in Rocky Hill.