Teeth are designed to work together, to help you perform essential tasks such as chewing, speaking and smiling. When one or more teeth go missing, performing these everyday simple tasks becomes difficult. If you’ve experienced loss of teeth you must be well aware of the impact it has on your appearance and dental health. A single missing tooth can cause the mouth to shift, causing the face to appear older. Thankfully missing teeth can be replaced.
There are several options when it comes to tooth replacement:
- Dental Implants
- Fixed Bridges
- Removable Partial Dentures
Dental Implants being the most preferred and also the most successful of all the available options.
Dental Implants are metal (usually Titanium) posts or frames, surgically placed within/above the jaw bone to serve as an artificial tooth root. These implants are bio-compatible and over time integrate with the surrounding bone. Hence they are sturdy anchors for the replacement teeth.
Types of Dental Implants
Dental implants are of various types, including :
- Endosteal implants: These areintolaced in the jawbone. Usually shaped like small screws, cylinders or plates, they are the most common type of implant used.
- Subperiosteal implants: These are placed under the gum but on, or above, the jawbone. This type may be used in patients who have a shallow jawbone and cannot or do not want to undergo a procedure to rebuild it.
The 3 Phases of Implant treatment
- Placement: The implant is surgically placed into the jawbone. Swelling and tenderness are a common after-effect and the patient is prescribed pain medication and a soft diet during the healing process.
- Healing: The implant is biocompatible and as the bone around it grows it fuses with the bone. This process can take several months. Some patients may need to wait out the healing period before the replacement teeth can be attached to the implant. While others can have implant and replacement teeth placed in one visit.
- Replacement: Also known as a prosthesis. These take time as the prosthesis is custom designed to fit your mouth and your implants, so it blends in with your natural teeth. While your final replacement is being prepared, your dentist may give you a temporary prosthesis to help you eat and speak normally.
- Implants are natural looking and blend in with your natural teeth
- Nearby teeth need not be involved with the procedure
- They are sturdy and can last years, even decades.
- They have the same functionality and durability of a natural tooth.
- They have a success rate of 95-98%, the highest of any tooth replacement option.
- They protect healthy bone, preventing shrinkage of the jaw bone and facial sagging.
- Some implants can be placed in a one or two visits.
- Not for everyone, since surgery is required.
- Based on your individual health and requirements, an implant placement may require several visits.
- May cost more than other options. But since they last longer, it may be worth considering the initial investment
Can I get Dental Implants?
If you have missing teeth and are looking for a long-lasting, natural feeling solution then implants are your best option. Several factors, such as bone structure, oral health and general health influence your candidature for dental implants. Arriving at this conclusion by yourself is not possible.Only a dentist, after thorough examination and assessment of your medical history, can tell you with certainty if you are an ideal candidate for receiving an implant or not.
If you are considering getting dental implants or are wondering if you are an ideal candidate or not we suggest you consult the best dentist in your locality to help you decide. We recommend visiting Planes Dental Arts for your consultation. Dr. Alex Planes is a highly recommend and much sought after Vero Beach Dentist.
The staff at Planes Dental Arts is family friendly and knowledgeable. They patiently answer all queries and concerns of the patient, providing all necessary information in as much detail as possible.
Dr. Alex Planes is the best Dental Professional in Vero Beach. He is an Alumna of the prestigious Columbia University and had also achieved mastership status from the International Congress of Implantologists. Though he provides a wide range of dental services, his forte lies in implant and aesthetic dentistry.
Since dental implants are a long-term commitment and investment in your overall health and appearance, only the best should be consulted.
And Dr. Alex Planes is the most excellent Dentist in Vero Beach. Schedule your appointment today!